When functioning properly, it could protect individuals from foreign invaders along with infections and communicable diseases. That is what human immune system primarily does. Some health readings compare the body’s immune system to a sentinel for it involves an intricate network of molecules and specialized cells that work in close cooperation to fight infection. So, when this defense system is down due to several reasons, there is no way for the human body to defend itself from the attackers- such as virus, bacteria, fungi, allergens and other disease- causing pathogens.
Pharmaceutical companies today, develop various medicines to boost immune system. Even alternative medicine practitioners ceaselessly promote traditional procedures and herbals to enhance immune system activities.
Surprisingly though, several scientific studies reveals that immunity boosters are found mainly in the foods we eat. What are those?
- Chili Peppers which come in different variety are not just taste additive enhancers. It is also a good source of capsaicin, a potent immunity booster for toxin elimination. Capsaicin works faster than the white blood cells. It is a good preventive measure for cold, flu and other infections.
- Cucumber is a nutrient rich vegetable- fruit that helps improve the immunity status of an individual. Vitamin C and Zinc found in cucumber shields the body from infection- causing radicals.
- Fish is a very common food eaten almost all of the population around the world and it is also an abundant source of omega-3 fats- that promotes healthy heart condition, other essential fatty acids, proteins which are vital for the healthy functioning of the body.
- Garlic is a well known for its culinary usage contains the active ingredient Allicin, which fights infection and bacteria. Garlic also has trace amount of Selenium- Selenium is a component of the enzymes glutathione, which of course known for its antioxidant property.
- Mushrooms are low- calorie food which contains Vitamin B complex, Selenium, and other essential minerals. All of which promotes the increase production of white blood cells. White blood cells play a primary role in body defenses.
- Oats and Barley has proven a cholesterol-lowering property and believes to have beta-glucan, a type of fiber with antimicrobial and antioxidant capabilities.
- Sweet Potatoes contain beta- carotene and it is converted by the body into Vitamin A. Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin which has infection fighting capabilities and counteracts Night-blindness, Hyperkeratosis, and Keratomalacia.
- Tea an aromatic beverage with a known history for medicinal potential generates reproduction of virus-fighting interferon in the blood along with L-theanine, known for its immunity booster.
- Tomatoes, a widely known edible vegetable- fruit contain Lycopene, a strong antioxidant that enhances the body’s white blood cell to fight free radicals. Lycopene also improves the skin’s ability to protect against harmful UV rays and keeps the skin looking youthful.
- Yogurt’s Probiotics, or the “live active cultures”, are classified as healthy or good bacteria fights bad bacteria resulting to a smooth digestive function.
As we live in a fast- changing technology, environment deteriorates in providing a healthy world to live on. Every individual is responsible for their health. Healthy living includes daily intake of highly nutritional value foods especially those that boost immunity.